Posted to alt.home.repair
cshenk cshenk is offline

Default Costs of roof repairs

"Merlin" wrote

If I could afford a new roof, I'd have told the first guy to do it.

Merlin, sometimes you have to patch and it's ok as long as the one doing it
does it right. The first fellow who only does 'new roofs' would be a bad
pick for a patch job because he's just not familiar with that sort of work.

For your query on how much per panel, the prices will vary with area and
mine are older data but it was (2001, Norfolk area) 70$ per panel for the
wood and i believe 150$ each to remove old and install new. The thickness
of the wood replacing, has to match the old that will be left on (NOT
OPTIONAL).

Be prepared to need a few more panels than origional estimate because once
they get the tiles off, they may find more. It's *much* cheaper to do it
now if any are even slightly nominal.

I did not have the whole roof replaced because most of it was fine. I had
about as many panels as you say redone, and all the roof tiles. You will
need to have all the tiles done (at least, all the font at the same time,
and all the back at the same time) or it will not look right. That 'look'
may not matter to you much now but come resale time, it's critical. They
need to age and weather down uniformly.

Get estimates and be sure they specify how much cost per panel including the
wood and the labor. Check with local resources to make sure the company has
been reliably in business doing roof work for at least 5 years, 10 is
better. Make sure they fully insure their workers because if not, they can
have one of them get hurt then the worker can sue YOU for letting them work
uninsured (silly I know, but it happens and can cost you your home).

The cheapest bidder, is often cheapest because his work is cheapest. Now,
I'll often go 'cheap' but the roof of your house isnt the right spot for
that as it will cost you far more just a few years down the road to fix it.

Best thing is get at least 3 estimates in writing then see your local bank
about a home improvement loan. They can often roll these in with your
household payments to bring the monthly cost down to quite acceptable
limits. That loan's interests BTW is tax deductable so say you pay 500$ in
interest (wont be that much), your taxes will give you back about 100$ of
it.