Posted to alt.home.repair
BobK207 BobK207 is offline

Default Pool Cover?

On Mar 1, 9:17 am, wrote:
Thanks BobK. The span would need to be 18 ft because the pool is 16x32
actually. I will check with building codes. I am not concerned about
the 1000's of dollars, my kids safety way more important than money. I
hear you on the plywood, you think 1/2 inch would be OK, or would this
need to be 3/4. I would certaily do PTL on the joists and paint the
entire thing. 2x12 would be needed on such a span I would think.

Frank-

To get this done, you need to either do some design work yourself or
hire a professional to do it for you.

I'm confused, if the pool is 16 ft wide...why would the span be 18
ft?

There are design codes (span allowables for floors) for plywood based
on plywood thickness & joist spacing.

1/2" plywood (15/32") has allowable span rating 32/16 which means
it can be used for floor applications at joist spacing of 16" (or
closer)

You can always go for minimum allowable thickness but it depends on
how you want your deck to feel.

cheers
Bob