Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Larry Jaques Larry Jaques is offline

Default Reefer Trailer's AirConditioner Compressor - Oil??

On Sat, 01 Mar 2008 10:30:44 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm, bear
quickly quoth:

Ok, there is metal content.

I managed to get a former refrigerated trailer, that was last used as
a rental storage unit... anyhow it has a small diesel engine (nice!)
directly coupled to what looks like a two lung compressor.

Now here's the question, WHAT is/was used as lubricant for the
compressor unit??

This is a 30 year old trailer - so whatever was used then is
most likely in there now.

Back in the day, I did auto A/C repair. We used a special refrigerant
oil which was absolutely moisture-free. It circulates within the
system and does not evaporate in air any more than engine oil does.

The problem is that the a-hole "code enforcement" person is
telling me that it represents a "hazardous material". I think
he is likely talking out of the wrong hole - but I prefer to slam
dunk people like that with insurmountable evidence and facts, arguing
with idiots is a waste of time and energy.

He's probably confusing freon with oil. Ask for his specific complaint
in writing so you'll know how to deal with it.

Anyone KNOW what the stuff is, what trade names are typical?
That way I can get the MSDS for it.

Oil is oil, http://buy1.snapon.com/msds/pdfs/msds1516.pdf
but see below, too.

I'd think there's maybe a quart or so in it??

Anything special about the compressor oil or its characteristics?
Like will it evaporate in open air or some such thing??

The one special character it has is that it's anhydrous. Oops, I sit
corrected. (Too lazy to stand.) This link says that a/c oil might
become contaminated with deadly chlorine (prolly as deadly as the
asbestos in your popcorn ceiling or the lead in your paint, eh?).
Dispose of it properly. http://www.p2pays.org/ref/13/12346.pdf

--
An idealist believes the short run doesn't count. A cynic believes
the long run doesn't matter. A realist believes that what is done