Posted to rec.woodworking
randyswoodshoop randyswoodshoop is offline

Default rust removal revisited - miter slots?

On Mar 1, 5:13*pm, "Lew Hodgett" wrote:
"mac davis" wrote:
OTOH, the miter slots still have rust in them..
Any tips/tricks before I try reinventing the wheel?

Two choices:

1) Start with a 1/2"-5/8" thick board about 6"-8" long.

Attach a piece of double back tape, then a piece of emery paper.

Apply WD-40 and elbow grease, then wipe slot with paper towel.

2) Recently picked up a brass wire brush, designed to clean a cast iron
grill skillet, at Smart & Final(Restaurant supply house in SoCal) that is
about 1/2" wide x 4"-5" long with a wood handle.

Apply WD-40 and elbow grease, then wipe slot with paper towel.

Would do a super job based on my experience with the cast iron skillet.

Have fun.

Lew

Have you tried a rust eraser?
You can get them at rockler and maybe other woodworking store.
I use them to remove rust on anything metal
You can cut then to fit in the mitre slot . The come in fine, me and
corase texture.

Randy
http://nokeswoodworks.com