Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bruce L. Bergman Bruce L. Bergman is offline

Default Reefer Trailer's AirConditioner Compressor - Oil??

On Sat, 01 Mar 2008 10:30:44 -0500, bear wrote:

Ok, there is metal content.

I managed to get a former refrigerated trailer, that was last used as
a rental storage unit... anyhow it has a small diesel engine (nice!)
directly coupled to what looks like a two lung compressor.

Now here's the question, WHAT is/was used as lubricant for the
compressor unit??

This is a 30 year old trailer - so whatever was used then is
most likely in there now.

The problem is that the a-hole "code enforcement" person is
telling me that it represents a "hazardous material". I think
he is likely talking out of the wrong hole - but I prefer to slam
dunk people like that with insurmountable evidence and facts, arguing
with idiots is a waste of time and energy.

Anyone KNOW what the stuff is, what trade names are typical?
That way I can get the MSDS for it.

I'd think there's maybe a quart or so in it??

Anything special about the compressor oil or its characteristics?
Like will it evaporate in open air or some such thing??

HELP!!

_-_-bear

If it's a standard reefer, it used R-12 refrigerant and a mineral
based refrigeration oil. Once you recover the refrigerant, the oil is
about as benign as you can get.

Find data plate, call manufacturer, get spec sheets and repair
manual. The companies from 30 years ago have gone through mergers and
acquisitions sprees (Carrier bought Transicold, etc) but AFAIK they're
all still running.

The small diesel engines were purchased complete from Kubota and
other Japanese makers - parts are available.

Get MSDS for refrigeration oil and wave it in inspector's face. In
the eyes of a paranoid EVERYTHING is hazardous till proven otherwise,
those of us who understand exposure times and quantities know better
than to freak over occasional and incidental contact with very mild
solvents - something you don't swim in all day.

If the reefer still runs well and works as-is, consider recharging
it with an interim refrigerant and using it to cool the workshop
instead of gutting it, and you can get a separate belt drive
compressor head with a constant-run unloader to provide shop air. You
could even rig a small alternator for emergency power and lighting.

If you want to reuse the old refrigeration compressor as an air
compressor you can use the same oil, or flush it and go to
conventional mineral based air compressor oil. But you will need to
add an oil separator on the air output line that will be plumbed to
send the oil back to the compressor crankcase via the air inlet (after
the air filter). And be prepared to see more oil carry-over that gets
past the separator and into the air receiver condensate drain-off.

Refrigeration didn't worry about oil carry-over around the piston
rings, because it's a closed system and the oil would come right back
in a minute after making a lap around the system. But you are turning
it into an open system, so you have to be aware of this.

-- Bruce --