Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,alt.electronics,sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design
legg legg is offline

Default Help needed. Zero crossing with RC snubber problem

On Fri, 29 Feb 2008 03:43:59 -0500, Fred Bloggs
wrote:

I'm aware of that. Generally AC coils with predominantly reactive
impedance are rated in VA and the so-called impedance limited coils with
impedance dominated by coil wire resistance are rated in Watts. The OP
is working with a 6W impedance limited coil.

Sorry, but I don't see a resistance limited coil described in any
correspondence from the OP.

The most common ( old P&B now Tyco ) contactor for high current that
still offers AC coils and a fair description of their impedance and
wattage expectations:

http://tinyurl.com/3845jx

RL

That link proves my point, the AC coils are specified in Volt-Amps and
the listed DC resistance of those coils is ~20% of the reactance. The
fact that the OP describes his coil as AC and 6W means it's impedance
limited.

Could you post a link to a data sheet for any device meeting this
description? I am unable to find a relay in this coil power range that
even has an AC-operated rating specified in W, never mind one
operating at this power level resistively.

I see some smaller ones that come close to 45 degrees, but are still
on the inductive side. I guess it's hard to avoid, being a magnetic
component.

I appreciate that there's some confusion here, but I have a suspicion
that it is most likely to originate with poor characterization by the
OP. I see no reason to carve the misunderstanding into electronic
stone on the news server.

RL