Posted to alt.home.repair

Default When a gallon is not a gallon

"Percival P. Cassidy" wrote in message
On 02/28/08 12:28 pm JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

I expect the same with products I buy. If the cost to produce goes up
then charge more. Don't shrink the size and print weasel words on the
package such as "new package but contents will perform as the old
package etc..."

I for one am tired of big box and megacorps putting so much effort into
spin.

Then we're back to the heart of the matter: If you ran a paint company,
how would you inform customers that the cans no longer contained a
gallon?

But wouldn't it be more honest just to raise the price rather than reduce
the size?

Perce

There's the problem: It depends on how each manufacturer perceives its
customers. In this newsgroup, I've seen a couple of people say they couldn't
stomach the idea of paying $22 per gallon for paint. There's your Home
Depot/Wal Mart shopper. Me - I go to a specialty paint store and pay $30+
for Devoe or Martin-Senour because I hate painting and I only want to do the
job once and be done with it.

If a paint manufacturer is worried about their price scaring people away,
which type of shopper are they thinking about? Certainly not me.