Posted to alt.home.repair
Percival P. Cassidy Percival P. Cassidy is offline

Default When a gallon is not a gallon

On 02/28/08 01:08 pm wrote:

The problem occurs as soon as one - just one - major company downsizes
it's package and keeps the price the same. Next, right or wrong,
every other company sees that their product is priced higher, and does
the same thing - thinking that all shoppers are ignorant enough to
simply grab the product with the lowest price without even looking at
the unit pricing. (maybe they are...)

One exception that immediately comes to mind is what happened with
yougurt. All the big players, like Dannon, etc reduced the size of
thier single serving cups. Little Columbo Yogurt, once a family owned
business and later a tiny divison of Genmeral Mills, responded by
running TV ads pointing out that Columbo yogurt was still the same
size it has always been, while it's competitors were all shrinking.

They grabbed a lot of market share!

And our regional supermarket chain's store brand of Yogurt still comes
in 8oz. cups. That's what we buy for ourselves, but my MIL -- we do her
shopping -- insists that she has to have Yoplait, which costs more for
only 6oz.

Perce