Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jon Elson Jon Elson is offline

Default wierd problem with tapping head

Paul K. Dickman wrote:

As a young man I worked at a gunshop. Pretty regularly we would get a
firearm whose owner thought poking the spray tube of a can of WD40 in a hole
and pressing the valve was the same as cleaning and oiling. The actions
would be filled rusty jello. They should only sell that stuff to
professionals.

Well, this rust problem only developed about 3 years AFTER I
removed all the WD-40! So, maybe I need to keep some WD-40 or
LPS-1 in it all the time. How to keep it off the clutches, I
have no idea.

If, by odd chance, your clutch is the same as the one they use on a 2E, (1
1/16" thick, 2 5/8" dia, die cast hub w 1/2" bore) drop me a line.

No, it is two cones, about 3/4" thick, about 1.25" diam at the
max, and the bore is threaded, maybe 3/8". But, thanks for the
offer.

Jon