Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John Martin John Martin is offline

Default Machine screws and untapped holes

On Feb 27, 10:03*pm, "Don Young" wrote:
Am I the only one who got the impression on the "Where to buy machine screw
assortment" thread that the OP was only talking about using an untapped hole
to jam the end of the screw into (or perhaps holding it in a vise) as he
evaluated how easy it was to twist the screw apart? It sounds to me like he
was only testing the screws, not trying to put something together. He seemed
to think that he needed screws stronger than what he had and asked if anyone
knew where to get stronger ones. I too was confused by the postings on both
sides until I got this idea and now it seems a lot more logical.

Don Young

He was not just testing the screws, he was doing an "important
project".

He never actually said he was trying to screw the screws into an
unthreaded hole, but he did at one point hint at it. He had heard
that it was possible to use a screw in an unthreaded hole in
aluminum. He never said what type of screws he was using, however,
other than that they were from Lowes. There are, of course, special
machine screws (type F) that will cut threads in aluminum perfectly
well, but he never said that he was using those.

He also hinted that a tapped hole would not work for him because he
needed something with a tighter seal.

Only he knows what he was really trying to do. His replies pretty
quickly turned into those of a jackass. Not worth worrying about him
or his screws. Although some more recent posts here do show a kinder
and gentler - and perhaps apologetic? - John Doe.

John Martin