Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Machine screws and untapped holes

Am I the only one who got the impression on the "Where to buy machine screw
assortment" thread that the OP was only talking about using an untapped hole
to jam the end of the screw into (or perhaps holding it in a vise) as he
evaluated how easy it was to twist the screw apart? It sounds to me like he
was only testing the screws, not trying to put something together. He seemed
to think that he needed screws stronger than what he had and asked if anyone
knew where to get stronger ones. I too was confused by the postings on both
sides until I got this idea and now it seems a lot more logical.

Don Young

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Don Young" wrote in message
Am I the only one who got the impression on the "Where to buy machine
screw assortment" thread that the OP was only talking about using an
untapped hole to jam the end of the screw into (or perhaps holding it in a
vise) as he evaluated how easy it was to twist the screw apart? It sounds
to me like he was only testing the screws, not trying to put something
together. He seemed to think that he needed screws stronger than what he
had and asked if anyone knew where to get stronger ones. I too was
confused by the postings on both sides until I got this idea and now it
seems a lot more logical.

Don Young

That's the impression I got as well Don; someone who KNOWS where the problem
is without debugging the process.
Martin
--
martindot herewhybrowat herentlworlddot herecom

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Feb 27, 10:03*pm, "Don Young" wrote:
Am I the only one who got the impression on the "Where to buy machine screw
assortment" thread that the OP was only talking about using an untapped hole
to jam the end of the screw into (or perhaps holding it in a vise) as he
evaluated how easy it was to twist the screw apart? It sounds to me like he
was only testing the screws, not trying to put something together. He seemed
to think that he needed screws stronger than what he had and asked if anyone
knew where to get stronger ones. I too was confused by the postings on both
sides until I got this idea and now it seems a lot more logical.

Don Young

He was not just testing the screws, he was doing an "important
project".

He never actually said he was trying to screw the screws into an
unthreaded hole, but he did at one point hint at it. He had heard
that it was possible to use a screw in an unthreaded hole in
aluminum. He never said what type of screws he was using, however,
other than that they were from Lowes. There are, of course, special
machine screws (type F) that will cut threads in aluminum perfectly
well, but he never said that he was using those.

He also hinted that a tapped hole would not work for him because he
needed something with a tighter seal.

Only he knows what he was really trying to do. His replies pretty
quickly turned into those of a jackass. Not worth worrying about him
or his screws. Although some more recent posts here do show a kinder
and gentler - and perhaps apologetic? - John Doe.

John Martin

Raised head brass machine screws. Dave Plowman (News) UK diy 12 January 21st 07 11:14 PM
TINY machine screws? T i m UK diy 2 December 23rd 06 10:07 PM
Sheetmetal screws, chassis screws, fastening idears Proctologically Violated©® Metalworking 3 November 9th 05 06:29 AM
Use Screws Or Holes For Wire In A Switch ? Robert11 Home Repair 7 April 4th 05 02:25 PM
Brass plated steel machine screws, anyone? [email protected] Woodworking 9 January 24th 05 03:34 AM