Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Framing for a new Room - what hardware to use?

On Feb 27, 8:05*am, wrote:
Should I use penny nails or screws for framing the lumber?

I am adamant that screws are a stronger, more robust way to frame
the room.

True.

And using 2 screws per stud end is an even stronger, more robust way
to frame the room. Lag bolts would be even stronger.

Now ask yourself: What would you gain by using screws over nails?
Under what circumstances would the extra expense be justified?

If rooms framed with nails were failing by the millions, then the
industry would have switched to screws along time ago. I'm going to
hazard a guess and say that most problems occur due to failure of the
wood itself, and/or poor construction methods, as opposed to the
fastener used - assuming it wasn't a plastic plug or chewing gum. g