Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Framing for a new Room - what hardware to use?

Should I use penny nails or screws for framing the lumber?

I am adamant that screws are a stronger, more robust way to frame the
room.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 27, 5:05 am, wrote:
Should I use penny nails or screws for framing the lumber?

I am adamant that screws are a stronger, more robust way to frame the
room.

Nails are generally more ductile....easier & faster to install (gun
driven or even hand nailed)

Screws (depending on the type you choose are) are often more
brittle...esp drywall screws which are frequently used in
inappropriate situations. They're call drywall screws for a reason.

Framing nailing is just there to hold the frame together. The
strength of the system really from the sheathing (drywall or
plywood) ...shear transfer through the structure is now usually
handled with framing connectors (Simpson hardware) but good old
blocked & nailed connections can work as well.

I'd suggest using 16d "shorts" 3 1/4" x .131 (really a 12d nail)
gun driven nails for your framing.

Yeah, the right screws can be stronger in some applications but in
earth quake country or high wind areas I'd put my money on a properly
design & constructed (nailed) structural system.

cheers
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 27, 8:05*am, wrote:
Should I use penny nails or screws for framing the lumber?

I am adamant that screws are a stronger, more robust way to frame
the room.

True.

And using 2 screws per stud end is an even stronger, more robust way
to frame the room. Lag bolts would be even stronger.

Now ask yourself: What would you gain by using screws over nails?
Under what circumstances would the extra expense be justified?

If rooms framed with nails were failing by the millions, then the
industry would have switched to screws along time ago. I'm going to
hazard a guess and say that most problems occur due to failure of the
wood itself, and/or poor construction methods, as opposed to the
fastener used - assuming it wasn't a plastic plug or chewing gum. g

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

wrote:
Should I use penny nails or screws for framing the lumber?

I am adamant that screws are a stronger, more robust way to frame the
room.

You really need both. For the usual 3.5" screws an impact driver is
absolutely essential. The Makita 18V Li ion drivers are a good
choice. Using an air nailer is the fastest where there is plenty of
room to work. A typical pro tool is the Senco line using using KD29 or
ND29 3.5" 16d nails or HL27 3" 10d Ring Shank nails. The screws have
the highest holding power, ring shank nails are next and plain nails
are last but better these days than in the past with the coatings they
use. These modern tools are so easy to use these days that before long
hammers may only be used for breaking rocks. G

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote
Should I use penny nails or screws for framing the lumber?

I am adamant that screws are a stronger, more robust way to frame the
room.

I have a feeling, there are 3 little pigs involved in this. And, a huff and
a puff.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 27 Feb 2008 05:05:23 -0800, cebukid70 wrote:

Should I use penny nails or screws for framing the lumber?

I am adamant that screws are a stronger, more robust way to frame the
room.

glue and screw. works for furniture.

Okay if framing gets wet? Toller Home Repair 12 May 22nd 07 05:55 PM
Framing and sheetrock FDR Home Repair 10 November 25th 06 08:00 PM
urethane floor finish room-by-room dan10170 Home Repair 0 January 6th 06 11:28 AM
Bonus room framing Budman Home Repair 8 November 17th 05 05:31 PM
framing nailers Marc Woodworking 17 September 16th 05 05:24 AM