Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Paul K. Dickman Paul K. Dickman is offline

Default wierd problem with tapping head

"Jon Elson" wrote in message

Got a bell jar and vacuum pump? A few days under good vacuum may dry
it out. Vacuum+dessicant would be even better.

I think a week in the open air in wintry St. Louis will do wonders to pull
the water out.
Cork is porous, might be the previous owner added the WD40 to displace
the water, rather than for lubrication.

Oh, I am sure that is true.
Might be easier to replace
the cork than to dry the stuff out completely. I'd suggest a soak in
some alcohol except I wouldn't know what the cork was bonded with, you
might end up with loose bits instead of dry ones.

I'm also not sure the material really is cork. I kind of remembered that,
but it doesn't look like cork now, but more like some synthetic stuff.
But, maybe it is coated with steel rubbed off the cones.

This thing is a double cone, so it could be very hard to replace the
friction material. I know Procunier sells repair parts, but their collets
are $82 each, or something, so I haven't even considered asking what this
will cost!

Jon

As a young man I worked at a gunshop. Pretty regularly we would get a
firearm whose owner thought poking the spray tube of a can of WD40 in a hole
and pressing the valve was the same as cleaning and oiling. The actions
would be filled rusty jello. They should only sell that stuff to
professionals.

If, by odd chance, your clutch is the same as the one they use on a 2E, (1
1/16" thick, 2 5/8" dia, die cast hub w 1/2" bore) drop me a line.

I have a couple spares I snagged on ebay a fey years back.

Paul K. Dickman