Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jon Elson Jon Elson is offline

Default wierd problem with tapping head

wrote:

Got a bell jar and vacuum pump? A few days under good vacuum may dry
it out. Vacuum+dessicant would be even better.

I think a week in the open air in wintry St. Louis will do
wonders to pull the water out.
Cork is porous, might be the previous owner added the WD40 to displace
the water, rather than for lubrication.

Oh, I am sure that is true.
Might be easier to replace
the cork than to dry the stuff out completely. I'd suggest a soak in
some alcohol except I wouldn't know what the cork was bonded with, you
might end up with loose bits instead of dry ones.

I'm also not sure the material really is cork. I kind of
remembered that, but it doesn't look like cork now, but more
like some synthetic stuff. But, maybe it is coated with steel
rubbed off the cones.

This thing is a double cone, so it could be very hard to replace
the friction material. I know Procunier sells repair parts, but
their collets are $82 each, or something, so I haven't even
considered asking what this will cost!

Jon