Posted to alt.home.repair
Nate Nagel Nate Nagel is offline

Default Old BX or new Romex? What would you do?

HerHusband wrote:
Which would you rather see in a basement for wiring?
Old BX or new Romex?

My personal preference would be new Romex installed through holes drilled
in the joists (NOT stapled to a beam or the underside of the joists). If
the BX is not stapled in place, you can use the old cable to pull the new
Romex through.

If drilling the joists is not an option, I would use surface mounted PVC
conduit and individual wires.

On the other hand, if the original BX cable is still in good shape, there's
no immediate need to replace it. Just replace it where needed and update
the rest to Romex as time and money allows.

That said, I've heard local codes in some areas require conduit or metallic
shielding for ALL wiring. I think the Chicago area was one of them, but I
don't remember for sure. You might want to check with your local permit
office (and probably get an electrical permit).

I'm certain that the old cloth had a 60C temperature rating if any;
new NM-B has 90C. Does it really make a big difference?

Lower temperature wiring can be a big problem around light fixtures. The
heat from the light makes the insulation brittle, which flakes off and
leaves exposed conductors. I've worked on lots of lights in old houses that
have completely bare wires, just waiting to start a fire. Kind of scary
when you open it up and see that.

Still, you don't necessarily need to replace the entire run. Just mount a
junction box nearby and run the higher temp Romex from the light to the
junction box. Then tie the old cable into that and join the two cables in
the box. Replace the circuit later when you have the time.

Anthony

The way this house was wired, it appears to be one of those areas where
BX was only required in "exposed" areas, that is, the basement. The
rest of the house is non-metallic. I'd actually be happier if the whole
house were BX as at least then it would be grounded, if not well. So I
can replace the BX easily as it only exists in exposed areas.

I have not asked the question yet, but judging by the presence of Romex
all over the place where things have been messed with (some not so well,
and already removed) the requirement for BX in the basement was
apparently lifted long ago. There apparently was a permit pulled for
some renovation about 20 years ago, either kitchen or basement I assume,
so it must have been inspected and passed.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel