Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Klipstein Don Klipstein is offline

Default Kitchen recessed lighting, flourescent screw in vs dedicated

In ,
Limp Arbor wrote:

On Feb 26, 12:52*pm, nano wrote:
I'd like to use flourescent bulbs in our remodeled kitchen's recessed
fixtures - I think. I'm not sure they'll be bright enough,

So why use them? Sure they last longer and CAN use less electricity

More than just can - they have a high rate of actually doing so.

but what about the impact on the environment?

Positive, considering that a good chunk of USA's electricity is from
coal burning plants. The amount of mercury emitted by burning enough
coal to produce 75 watts for 4,000 hours is much more than the amount of
mercury in a 19, 20 or 23 watt CFL.

Is it realistic to expect people to store used flourescent lights and
ballasts in a protective containers until the local government comes up
with a way to safely recycle them? Or will homeowners more likely toss
them in the can with their milk jugs and wine bottles for 'recycling'.

http://www.worldwise.com/recfluorlig.html

Actually mentions that on average, fluorescents in lieu of incandescents
results in a net reduction of mercury pollution, but does advise to
recycle fluorescent lamps.

The ballast recycling advice applies mainly to 2-bulb rapid start
ballasts, since the issue is oil filled capacitors. The ballasts in
screw-in CFLs do not have those, nor in general do ballasts for 1-lamp
fluorescents less than 30 watts. Also in general, electronic ballasts do
not have oil filled capacitors.

As for options and legal requirements in your area - www.lamprecycle.org

- Don Klipstein )