Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Klipstein Don Klipstein is offline

Default Kitchen recessed lighting, flourescent screw in vs dedicated

In article , nano wrote:
I'd like to use flourescent bulbs in our remodeled kitchen's recessed
fixtures - I think. I'm not sure they'll be bright enough, but expect
they will be. My main concern is whether to install the dedicated
flourescent cans, or keep my options open by installing screw base
fixutures that would use the screw base flourscent bulbs. I know code in
my area requires some dedicated flour fixtures in the kitchen.

I have a bunch of questions, I'll put them all out enmass, and will
appreciate any input.

Are there any inherant advantages to the cans that have built in ballast
etc?

Definitely. Screw-in compact fluorescents tend to have their ballasts
overheat when they are used in cans.

Some of the screw based flourescent bulbs seem to turn on without delay;
some have a one second delay.

The better ones have a slight to 1 second delay. This is for warming up
the filaments first, to reduce starting-related wear.

Some are flourescent bulbs have a very white light and some are more
rosy...would prefer the rosy, but not sure how to spec to supplier?

This is usually specified as "color temperature". Usual ones a

2700 - usual compact fluorescent color, orangish to roughly incandescent
color.

3500 - a "whiter shade of warm white" - my favorite, but mainly for
brighter lighting conditions. It can look a little dreary in dimmer
lighting conditions - in which case a lower color temperature such as 2700
would be better.

4100 - "cool white color", plain white, though with better color rendering
than "old tech cool white".

5000 - an icy cold pure white.

Screw base flourescent bulbs can be either the naked type (coils
exposed) or there are also some that have the coils inside a
'floodlight' type glass enclousure. I thought these might be a good
compromise, since can's reflective trim is sheilded from dust etc. Also,
not sure but wondered if they don't throw more light, or throw it more
widely, since the bulb extents just beyond the trim.

In general, ones with outer bulbs have a wider temperature range, but
also start dimmer and have a greater need to warm up.

- Don Klipstein )