Posted to alt.home.repair

Default whirlpool tub grounding question.

wrote in message
I am installing a new whirlpool bathtub at my girlfriends place and
was checking things out. The electrical is gfi'd in the panel and has
a dedicated 20 amp circuit feeding it - so far so good.

In addition, the old tub had a big ground wire run from the water
valve to a ground strap on the motor assembly. My Jacuzzi and pool
pump all have a separate ground run from the panel to them.

This motor does not have a provision for a ground strap anywhere on
it. The difference is that all the other assemblies I have wired are
hard wired. This one has a molded three prong plug on it.

I was wondering if I should jury rig something to ground it to the
motor somehow, or maybe to the junction box that it plugs into (Of
course the junction box is already grounded from the panel). To me it
just seems like an extra safety precaution that could not hurt.

I recently encountered the same dilemma. I told the owner to contact the
manufacturer for guidance as that is what the electrical inspector will
follow. I don't know what the final outcome is as of yet.