Posted to alt.home.repair

Default whirlpool tub grounding question.

I am installing a new whirlpool bathtub at my girlfriends place and
was checking things out. The electrical is gfi'd in the panel and has
a dedicated 20 amp circuit feeding it - so far so good.

In addition, the old tub had a big ground wire run from the water
valve to a ground strap on the motor assembly. My Jacuzzi and pool
pump all have a separate ground run from the panel to them.

This motor does not have a provision for a ground strap anywhere on
it. The difference is that all the other assemblies I have wired are
hard wired. This one has a molded three prong plug on it.

I was wondering if I should jury rig something to ground it to the
motor somehow, or maybe to the junction box that it plugs into (Of
course the junction box is already grounded from the panel). To me it
just seems like an extra safety precaution that could not hurt.

Comments?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
I am installing a new whirlpool bathtub at my girlfriends place and
was checking things out. The electrical is gfi'd in the panel and has
a dedicated 20 amp circuit feeding it - so far so good.

In addition, the old tub had a big ground wire run from the water
valve to a ground strap on the motor assembly. My Jacuzzi and pool
pump all have a separate ground run from the panel to them.

This motor does not have a provision for a ground strap anywhere on
it. The difference is that all the other assemblies I have wired are
hard wired. This one has a molded three prong plug on it.

I was wondering if I should jury rig something to ground it to the
motor somehow, or maybe to the junction box that it plugs into (Of
course the junction box is already grounded from the panel). To me it
just seems like an extra safety precaution that could not hurt.

I recently encountered the same dilemma. I told the owner to contact the
manufacturer for guidance as that is what the electrical inspector will
follow. I don't know what the final outcome is as of yet.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
[...]

It's fine. The motor will be grounded through the plug. On your pool and
Jacuzzi, there's no need for the #8 solid bond to return to the panel
either. All the metal parts associated with the pool have to be bonded
together

Posted to alt.home.repair

"RBM" wrote in message

wrote in message
[...]

That's what I thought on the installation that I mentioned. However the
inspector wanted a bonding wire, but I had no idea where to connect it.
Much of the housing was plastic. I ran the wire to the water pipe and put a
ground clamp on it and brought the other end into the access hole and left
it hanging.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"John Grabowski" wrote in message

"RBM" wrote in message

wrote in message
[...]

Typically you have a metal pump with a ground fitting and maybe a few other
metal parts with fittings, and they all come bonded together. We bond the
water pipes to them, and we're good. I think the manufacturers are
constantly trying to find ways to eliminate the expense by using plastic
everything, and by doing so, confounding the inspectors. I figure, if it has
a U.L. label, and you follow the manufacturers wiring instructions, if any,
you're done. I would use a steel box for the outlet and attach the bond from
the pipes to it.