Posted to alt.home.repair
Jeff[_3_] Jeff[_3_] is offline

Default Kitchen recessed lighting, flourescent screw in vs dedicated

Hi Nano,
Here's my experience. I put 6 potlights in my kitchen. I didn't want halogen
lights so I purchased a package of regular 6" incandescent fixtures which
included 6 X 75W flood light bulbs.
I didn't want to use all the included bulbs for energy usage reasons but I
didn't want to just throw out the working bulbs either. So I purchased some
fluorescent bulbs from Costco, I don't recall the wattage but they were 75W
equivalent and used 3 of each. They were the flood style with the twist
inside.

When I first turned them on I was concerned, the fluorescent bulbs seemed to
not work but then flickered on after a few seconds. They were noticeably
dimmer than the incandescent as well. However after about 10 minutes I could
no longer tell the difference between the two styles of bulbs. For a short
time the fluorescents took a little while to flick on and warm up but after
a couple of days as far as I can tell they turned on instantly and at or
near full brightness. So I'm very happy with them.

I cant see what the advantage of ballast type fixtures would be.

, I got a good price on a package that included
"nano" wrote in message
.net...
I'd like to use flourescent bulbs in our remodeled kitchen's recessed
fixtures - I think. I'm not sure they'll be bright enough, but expect
they will be. My main concern is whether to install the dedicated
flourescent cans, or keep my options open by installing screw base
fixutures that would use the screw base flourscent bulbs. I know code in
my area requires some dedicated flour fixtures in the kitchen.

I have a bunch of questions, I'll put them all out enmass, and will
appreciate any input.

Are there any inherant advantages to the cans that have built in ballast
etc?

Some of the screw based flourescent bulbs seem to turn on without delay;
some have a one second delay.

Some are flourescent bulbs have a very white light and some are more
rosy...would prefer the rosy, but not sure how to spec to supplier?

Screw base flourescent bulbs can be either the naked type (coils
exposed) or there are also some that have the coils inside a
'floodlight' type glass enclousure. I thought these might be a good
compromise, since can's reflective trim is sheilded from dust etc. Also,
not sure but wondered if they don't throw more light, or throw it more
widely, since the bulb extents just beyond the trim.

If I use the naked coil screw base, or the dedicated prong base, with a
reflective trim, I'm concerned that kitchen oils etc will end up on the
reflective trim and need cleaning. But does that really occur?