Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Elbrecht Jim Elbrecht is offline

Default Cutting Concrete blocks for wall

wrote:

-snip-
I poked about the Web and saw a few Hitachi blades, "diamond"
advertised for $30 to $70 ....and a few other brands for up to $380.

I got a couple of the $30 ones from Lowes-- I finally killed the
first one with some hidden rebar in a slab. They last, and last,
and last. [dusty as all get-out, though]

Now, I need to cut a number of these, I haven't quite figured out the
total, but a number of them on wierd angles and just a number of them
in half to meet her "highness's specs.

I am not expecting to cut them totally, just enough to split. I don't
want to rent a cutter, because I have no easy way to get it here and
they want $50 to deliver, plus the $66 rental charge for the day....

Did you get them at a big box borg, or a landscape place? My block
supplies place has split many of them for me- no charge. I'm not
a huge customer, either. I doubt I've spent $3,000 there in the past
6 years, but when I told them what I wanted the guy offered to split a
couple dozen 6x18 solid blocks at no charge.

If you can't get that lucky, I found an air hammer and wide chisel
works better for me than my big hammer and mason's chisel.

Anyway, would one of those steel Hitachi blades work better than the
fiber ones I struggled with today???

By about a factor of 100.

Good luck-
Jim