Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Suggestions for a log run kitchen exhaust

"Mike Hartigan" wrote in message
.net...
In article ,
says...
"Mike Hartigan" wrote in message
.net...
In article ,
says...
I'm finishing up my basement bar that includes a range with a grill.
These beasts tend to generate some smoke, so a vented exhaust is a
must. I've got a nice, beefy blower, but I'm concerned that the 20'
duct that will be installed above the suspended ceiling will leak
smoke and/or grease, particularly since the blower will be installed
at the hood, meaning that there will be positive pressure along the
entire length of the duct. How can I minimize this? 4" PVC would be
nice, but I suspect that it wouldn't be well suited to this
application (and probably not code). What are my options?

Sorry, guys. I thought it was a simple question. What kind of
ductwork is traditional, safe, and not overkill for a residential
range hood that is 20' from the most convenient exterior wall? Note
that I'm NOT planning to use PVC. And let's assume, just for grins,
that I know how to clean it.

Call your local building inspector and find out. Please report back here
with the results of your inquiry.

And, just for grins:

1) What type of stuff will you be cooking most of the time? Cups of tea?
Steaks?

Steaks, burgers, boiling wort, and smoke from my coffee roaster. And
maybe an occasional cup of tea.

2) How will you clean this 20' length of ductwork?

With the same equipment I use to clean 25' of flue. Don't worry, I'm
not a moron.

I don't think you're a moron. I'm wondering if a fireplace chimney contains
crud that the same as the vent from a cooking fan. I've never cleaned my own
fireplace chimney, so I don't know the answer to this.