Posted to alt.home.repair
Mortimer Schnerd, RN Mortimer Schnerd, RN is offline

Default Which to get first ?

john wrote:
Sorry guys, Another question I forgot to mention. My dad tells me a Wood
Stove is more efficent and heats up the house better then a built in
Fireplace. But he may be saying this to persuade me from getting a
Fireplace because it would be alot of masonary work for my place.

Is it true or no? I would think the Fireplace would heat it up better since
their usually bigger.

This one is easy... there is no comparison. A woodstove with an open door to
watch the fire is no warmer than a fireplace. But a woodstove with a closed
door will get hot enough to burn the hairs off your legs from across the room.
You can regulate the heat by the choice and amount of wood, and also by how open
you leave the chimney vent.

The only problem I have with my woodstove is that the thermostat is in the
living room with it. When I get that bad boy cooking, the thermostat thinks the
rest of the house is warm and shuts off the central heat. So I have one room
where everybody is getting sunburned and the rest of the house is cold.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com