Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Which to get first ?

Wood Stove or Vinyl Flooring ? I have my basement stripped already and
getting ready for flooring. Should I get the Wood Stove first since that
usually comes with that concrete layer platform that could be put
underneath. Or is the proper route to get the flooring done first ? sorry
for the noobish question.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Pat Pat is offline

On Feb 22, 9:39*am, "john"
wrote:
Wood Stove or Vinyl Flooring ? * I have my basement stripped already and
getting ready for flooring. * Should I get the Wood Stove first since that
usually comes with that concrete layer platform that could be put
underneath. *Or is the proper route to get the flooring done first ? sorry
for the noobish question.

I doesn't really matter because you shouldn't have vinyl under the
stove. Put the platform right on your concrete floor and bring the
vinyl up to it.

Personally, I would do the stove first and put the platform down. Then
let the vinyl installer worry about the transition.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 22 Feb 2008 09:39:33 -0500, "john"
wrote:

Wood Stove or Vinyl Flooring ? I have my basement stripped already and
getting ready for flooring. Should I get the Wood Stove first since that
usually comes with that concrete layer platform that could be put
underneath. Or is the proper route to get the flooring done first ? sorry
for the noobish question.

Doesn't matter. Careful with that woodstove, though. I've seen what
damage a wood stove can do. A woodstove can generate a lot of
heat--get the smallest one you can find.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"john" wrote in message
Wood Stove or Vinyl Flooring ? I have my basement stripped already and
getting ready for flooring. Should I get the Wood Stove first since that
usually comes with that concrete layer platform that could be put
underneath. Or is the proper route to get the flooring done first ? sorry
for the noobish question.

Agree with all almost. It don't matter, as you won't put flooring under the
stove. If you do put it, and put bricks on top, there will be a pattern
where the sheet goods are a different color due to a different exposure to
heat and light. Definitely line the floor and walls. And your insurance
will go up about 25% or more.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

And your insurance will go up about 25% or more.

are you kiddin me ? Thats one thing I overlooked. They think of that as
such a hazard ? geez.. I guess a pellet stove would be the same.. I thought
about one of those too. Something that runs off pure wood is my main goal
though... who knows what type of oil / gas crisis were going to have in a
year from now...or longer. As long as I can heat my home somehow...is all
I care about

Im probably going with pergo flooring. (no glue needed) Putting the pergo
down first seems like the way to go. I appreciate the input.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Pat Pat is offline

On Feb 22, 1:23*pm, "SteveB" meagain@rockvilleUSA wrote:
"john" wrote in message

And your insurance will go up about 25% or more.

are you kiddin me ? Thats one thing I overlooked. *They think of that as
such a hazard ? geez.. *I guess a pellet stove would be the same.. I
thought about one of those too. * *Something that runs off pure wood is my
main goal though... who knows what type of oil / gas crisis were going to
have in a year from now...or longer. * As long as I can heat my home
somehow...is all I care about

Im probably going with pergo flooring. (no glue needed) * Putting the
pergo down first seems like the way to go. *I appreciate the input.

Call your agent. *Mine went up 25%. *Yours may be less or more. *If you do
not notify them of the alternate heating device and do have a fire, they
can, and probably will, deny the claim. *We found out about ours on a yearly
update. *They asked if we had a wood stove, and we hadn't previously. *We
said, oh, yeah. *That's when we found out about it.

A neighbor's house was almost totaled a few weeks ago from a flue fire on a
wood heating stove. *They do have risks.

Steve

I don't have any additional premium for a stove. They wanted to
ensure it was adequate installed. That's all. I didn't have a
problem with that -- our building inspector used to keep a picture of
it on his bulletin board with the label "How to install a wood
stove". But then again, lots of people around here heat with wood.

Posted to alt.home.repair

makew certain your basement is 100% dry ALL THE TIME, ore you will
just ruin a new wood floor........

Posted to alt.home.repair
k k is offline

I think it depends on where you are. I'm in the northeast where wood heat
is common, and our basement wood stove is noted on the policy, but dfoesn't
affect our insurance. I think if it goes up it's maybe because of where you
live, or a non-conventional installation?? A wood stove shouldn't be any
riskier than an oil or gas furnace.

That said, pellet stoves are a lot cleaner, and I have one in my shop. I
happen to enjoy cutting and splitting wood, but I'll probably switch to
pellets in the house one day.

k.

"john" wrote in message

And your insurance will go up about 25% or more.

are you kiddin me ? Thats one thing I overlooked. They think of that as
such a hazard ? geez.. I guess a pellet stove would be the same.. I
thought about one of those too. Something that runs off pure wood is my
main goal though... who knows what type of oil / gas crisis were going to
have in a year from now...or longer. As long as I can heat my home
somehow...is all I care about

Im probably going with pergo flooring. (no glue needed) Putting the
pergo down first seems like the way to go. I appreciate the input.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"k" keith wrote

I think it depends on where you are. I'm in the northeast where wood heat
is common, and our basement wood stove is noted on the policy, but dfoesn't
affect our insurance. I think if it goes up it's maybe because of where
you live, or a non-conventional installation?? A wood stove shouldn't be
any riskier than an oil or gas furnace.

Agreed, the insurance difference depends on where you are. In my area, I
send them a copy of the fireplace inspection annually and get a small
reduction for it. I have to (and want to) use a reputable chimney company to
get that.

Pretty much works out to a free cleaning and inspection annually Grin.
Might want to see if thats a little hidden clause where you are as well.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"k" wrote in message
et...
That said, pellet stoves are a lot cleaner, and I have one in my shop. I
happen to enjoy cutting and splitting wood, but I'll probably switch to
pellets in the house one day.

k.

Those pellet stoves, arent you able to use corn as a substitute ? Or is that
another kind of stove ?

A few years ago corn would be the cheaper substitute I would think....now
forget about it...with all these ethynol factories going up left and right..

Posted to alt.home.repair

"cshenk" wrote in message
"k" keith wrote

I think it depends on where you are. I'm in the northeast where wood heat
is common, and our basement wood stove is noted on the policy, but
dfoesn't affect our insurance. I think if it goes up it's maybe because
of where you live, or a non-conventional installation?? A wood stove
shouldn't be any riskier than an oil or gas furnace.

Agreed, the insurance difference depends on where you are. In my area, I
send them a copy of the fireplace inspection annually and get a small
reduction for it. I have to (and want to) use a reputable chimney company
to get that.

Pretty much works out to a free cleaning and inspection annually Grin.
Might want to see if thats a little hidden clause where you are as well.

I thought the OP was asking about a wood burning stove. There is a big
difference to an insurance company between a fireplace and a wood burning
stove. The stove is rated higher. If we had put in a fireplace, there
would have been NO change in insurance.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Fri, 22 Feb 2008 10:23:38 -0800, "SteveB" meagain@rockvilleUSA
wrote:

"john" wrote in message
.. .

And your insurance will go up about 25% or more.

are you kiddin me ? Thats one thing I overlooked. They think of that as
such a hazard ? geez.. I guess a pellet stove would be the same.. I
thought about one of those too. Something that runs off pure wood is my
main goal though... who knows what type of oil / gas crisis were going to
have in a year from now...or longer. As long as I can heat my home
somehow...is all I care about

Im probably going with pergo flooring. (no glue needed) Putting the
pergo down first seems like the way to go. I appreciate the input.

Call your agent. Mine went up 25%. Yours may be less or more. If you do
not notify them of the alternate heating device and do have a fire, they
can, and probably will, deny the claim.

You probably mean: They may well be entitled to deny the claim IF the
fire was caused by the stove or something related to its installation.
If it was caused by something else, bad wiring, etc. aiui the stove is
not relevant.

I mention this because I heard that half of the people losing their
homes to foreclosure didn't even contact the bank to find a better
alternative, which might exist. The two seem parallel to me.

We found out about ours on a yearly
update. They asked if we had a wood stove, and we hadn't previously. We
said, oh, yeah. That's when we found out about it.

A neighbor's house was almost totaled a few weeks ago from a flue fire on a
wood heating stove. They do have risks.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

Sorry guys, Another question I forgot to mention. My dad tells me a Wood
Stove is more efficent and heats up the house better then a built in
Fireplace. But he may be saying this to persuade me from getting a
Fireplace because it would be alot of masonary work for my place.

Is it true or no? I would think the Fireplace would heat it up better since
their usually bigger.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

john wrote:
Sorry guys, Another question I forgot to mention. My dad tells me a
Wood Stove is more efficent and heats up the house better then a built
in Fireplace. But he may be saying this to persuade me from getting a
Fireplace because it would be alot of masonary work for my place.

Is it true or no? I would think the Fireplace would heat it up better
since their usually bigger.

Dad's right...fireplaces are far less thermally efficient than wood
stoves--in fact, unless they contain an insert or other specific
designs, they may well be a net loss rather than input...

Posted to alt.home.repair

john wrote:
Sorry guys, Another question I forgot to mention. My dad tells me a Wood
Stove is more efficent and heats up the house better then a built in
Fireplace. But he may be saying this to persuade me from getting a
Fireplace because it would be alot of masonary work for my place.

Is it true or no? I would think the Fireplace would heat it up better since
their usually bigger.

Fireplaces are TREMENDOUSLY inefficient. Just think about it: You've
got ONE side facing the heated area, a huge funnel running from inside
to outside, and artificial convection sucking the heated air out of
your house! Enclosed fireplaces are a bit more efficient than open
units, for sure.

ALL the surfaces of a wood stove are exposed to the heated area, and
there is only a small air inlet. It can't help but be much more
efficient.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"john" wrote in message
Sorry guys, Another question I forgot to mention. My dad tells me a
Wood Stove is more efficent and heats up the house better then a built in
Fireplace. But he may be saying this to persuade me from getting a
Fireplace because it would be alot of masonary work for my place.

Is it true or no? I would think the Fireplace would heat it up better
since their usually bigger.

Listen to Dad. New styles of fireplaces are more efficient than old ones,
but none come close to a good airtight wood stove. If you want to watch the
fire, get one that can burn with doors open then close it up when you are
done viewing.

Posted to alt.home.repair

john wrote:
Sorry guys, Another question I forgot to mention. My dad tells me a Wood
Stove is more efficent and heats up the house better then a built in
Fireplace. But he may be saying this to persuade me from getting a
Fireplace because it would be alot of masonary work for my place.

Is it true or no? I would think the Fireplace would heat it up better since
their usually bigger.

This one is easy... there is no comparison. A woodstove with an open door to
watch the fire is no warmer than a fireplace. But a woodstove with a closed
door will get hot enough to burn the hairs off your legs from across the room.
You can regulate the heat by the choice and amount of wood, and also by how open
you leave the chimney vent.

The only problem I have with my woodstove is that the thermostat is in the
living room with it. When I get that bad boy cooking, the thermostat thinks the
rest of the house is warm and shuts off the central heat. So I have one room
where everybody is getting sunburned and the rest of the house is cold.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

"john" wrote

Sorry guys, Another question I forgot to mention. My dad tells me a
Wood Stove is more efficent and heats up the house better then a built in
Fireplace. But he may be saying this to persuade me from getting a
Fireplace because it would be alot of masonary work for my place.

He's right although the older style fireplaces that were 'internal to the
house' (so the back wall is in another room and the chimney may be going
through an upper/attic bedroom even with a small fireplace in it), well
those are a bit better.

A fireplace does add house value, but a good wood stove can as well though
it may not add as much. It will be area dependant. You might find a quick
call to a realtor just to ask what the price difference is in your area
between them? If you live well north in snow country, go wood first then
later when you can afford it, consider adding a fireplace for the house
value.

How much actual heat you get from the fireplace will depend on design, and
if you have a forced air blower and proper inserts. We plan to get a lower
insert which is a semi-reflective metal backplate that goes against the back
wall and 'reflects' more of the heat inwards. They sell them with lots of
neat looking designs.

For 'wood stove' take a look at the newer pellet stoves. They have some
really good ones out there which are virtually care-free (and some that need
cleaning daily). Make sure first though that pellets are easy to get where
you are. Though growing in popularity, not all areas have them as other
than a specialty item at a high price. If the pellets are way too costly
where you are (like getting firewood here at 7-11 is about 9$ for a single
armload!), a true wood burner may be a better option. Those come in many
types but most I have seen need the 'logs' cut very small so you may need to
get a log-splitter so as to get just regular fireplace stuff at a cheaper
price and cut it down. Log-splitters can run over 1,500$ but perfectly
functional units for your needs are also out there under 200$.