Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rex Rex is offline

Default What type of toolpost block is this?

On 2008-02-25, Rex wrote:
I found this among my Aloris style blocks, and it's foreign to me.
Can anyone identify it?

http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/

filename is 'tool block cutoff 004a.jpg'

Hmm ... first, that may have been the name when you submitted
it, but the name has been automatically changed to
"tool_block_cutoff_004a.jpg" because spaces in file names are awkward on
some systems.

Yep, got the auto-email

Also, you are lacking the requested ".txt" file named to match
the others to help people who stumble across it years from now to
understand *why* it is there.

It was uploaded with the JPG file. Shrug. I'll repost

Second -- I don't think that is an Aloris, with the "T-slot" in
place of the dovetail. It would have been interesting to include a
second and perhaps third viewpoint, but that would only be to see how
much the rest of it resembled an Aloris. The height adjusting nut and
lock nut seem to lack the keyed washer between them common with true
Aloris toolposts.

I know it's not an Aloris. i have an Aloris and a Phase II.

I suspect that it was a homebrew form of quick-change holder for
a homebrew toolpost.

Possible, as it has no markings anywhere on it. It's very well made though.

Put it on eBay (with dimensions and the note that it is *not*
dovetailed Aloris style, even though it looks like one at first glance.
You'll probably find someone who has a matching toolpost --or who thinks
that he does. :-)

That's probably what I'll do, but I figured if I could identify it,
someone here or on one of the forums would recognize it and I could do a
swap. At any rate, ebay results are always better with a positive ID.

If the parting blade angle is reversed, it might even work well
with a home-made rear mount toolpost specifically for parting off. I
might even try to make a matching post myself for that. :-)

I'm pretty sure it's in the normal orientation for front-side parting.