Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Joseph Gwinn Joseph Gwinn is offline

Default Toolholder unseating in the Dickson style toolpost - update

In article ,
David Billington wrote:

[...]

Just done that and all 8 T pieces seem to be flat and the holders
undamaged in the clamping area. One T piece closest to the chuck has
obviously met it on occasion as it has some evidence of an arc worn
slightly into the surface but otherwise OK. The T piece I crashed is
flat even though that incident broke a small part off the flange at the
top of the eccentric pin. The spare parts included 2 T pieces, both
flat, one complete eccentric shaft, and the bit of eccentric shaft that
fits in the T piece, both ends having been broken off.

In the holders I have, none has the spool-shaped adjuster nut. I would
assume that they were removed, but I don't know why.

I think this has been mentioned before but not much point in having a
quick change tool holder with those nuts missing as you can't just throw
it into place and have the height correct.

Yep. Though it's not quite as fiddly as a lantern toolpost to adjust.

I'm also suspicious that the Dickson toolpost I have is too small for
the Clausing 5914 lathe.

I have looked at www.lathes.co.uk which is normally a good source of
info on lathes but it doesn't seem to mention the Clausing 5914, maybe
some rare variant of a more common Clausing. Any way another search
showed the 5914 to be a 12" lathe and I have a Kerry 11" and the M300 is
13", both are fitted with a Dickson toolpost and holder width of 73mm (2
7/8") and the height is 63mm (2.5") and that seems appropriate and was
given as suitable when I bought the Toolmex for the Kerry. Dickson do a
smaler size IIRC so maybe that is what you have.

The toolpost I have is 45mm high and 70mm on a side. The Clausing 5914
is indeed a 12" swing by 36" machine. Anyway, you seem to have a larger
Dickson toolpost than I, even though your lathes seem to have about the
same swing.

I have to hope that a crash on the Clausing won't destroy the BXA
toolpost, as crashes are inevitable. Especially while learning.

Anyway good luck on your choice of a new toolpost and let us know how it
goes.

Thanks. It should arrive this week, although I will be away from my
shop this weekend.

Ahh mental anguish until you get home to play again.

Well, with luck it will arrive in a day or so. Aloris is making the
T-nut, so with luck the I will be able to just slide it in and clamp it
down. So I could be able to cut *something*. And then stew, thinking
of the next project.

Joe Gwinn