Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM[_2_] RBM[_2_] is offline

Default Advice on Rotating Electrical Panel

"quksilver" wrote in message
On Feb 25, 1:37 pm, " wrote:
On Feb 25, 1:32?pm, quksilver wrote:

Hello,
I am remodeling the kitchen in my condo and need some advice with
regards to the electrical panel. ?Currently, it is located on an
interior wall with access from the kitchen. ?Seems silly to me, as it
makes it difficult to use that wall for anything. ?What I would like
to do is remove the current panel and install a larger one in the same
location, but such that it is accessed from the other side of the
wall, which faces the living room. ?Also not ideal, personally, but
better than the current setup. ?Turning the panel this way will allow
much greater design flexibility for the kitchen remodel, such as
relocating appliances, adding storage, etc. ?I'm wondering if anyone
might be able to answer some basic questions, like how difficult a job
is this, how long it should take, how much might it cost (in a really
rough sense), etc? ?And if anyone has any other advice about the
project, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks!

you might as well upgrade the main service. it will be a big job.

sounds like a decent idea but how will you cover it up in the living
room?

Not sure what is meant by upgrading the main service? I can hang a
box over it in the living room that looks like "art" and is easily
removed.

Thanks,

Having professional electricians come in to give you advice and prices is
the most sensible thing to do. It makes absolutely no sense to even talk
about service upgrades until you determine what size the current service is,
and if the few new loads you plan on will make the slightest bit of
difference. If you are just looking to flip the panel position and use a
slightly larger panel, expect to cut the sheetrock beam to beam from about a
foot above and below the existing panel on the kitchen side. Since the new
panel will be larger, there is no concern about the conductors not being
long enough. I can't imagine this taking more than 3 or 4 hours plus
materials and filing fees