Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] mkirsch1@rochester.rr.com is offline

Default Which to get first ?

john wrote:
Sorry guys, Another question I forgot to mention. My dad tells me a Wood
Stove is more efficent and heats up the house better then a built in
Fireplace. But he may be saying this to persuade me from getting a
Fireplace because it would be alot of masonary work for my place.

Is it true or no? I would think the Fireplace would heat it up better since
their usually bigger.

Fireplaces are TREMENDOUSLY inefficient. Just think about it: You've
got ONE side facing the heated area, a huge funnel running from inside
to outside, and artificial convection sucking the heated air out of
your house! Enclosed fireplaces are a bit more efficient than open
units, for sure.

ALL the surfaces of a wood stove are exposed to the heated area, and
there is only a small air inlet. It can't help but be much more
efficient.