Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Suggestions for a log run kitchen exhaust

"Mike" wrote in message
On Feb 25, 11:33 am, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
"Mike" wrote in message

On Feb 25, 9:49 am, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
"AZ Nomad" wrote in message

On Mon, 25 Feb 2008 13:09:38 GMT, JoeSpareBedroom

wrote:

Why should the science of fire prevention be any different at home
than
at
restaurant? Maybe the ducts in a restaurant reach the danger level
in a
month, and at home, two years, but at that magical moment, there's
enough
grease in the pipes to make life interesting. The length of time to
the
MOMENT is the variable.

The same ****ing reason you don't have a twenty thousand dollar hood
and exhaust over ever kitchen stove. Volume.

Time can compensate for volume, in terms of grease buildup. If the OP
creates a system which can't be easily cleaned, he could eventually
end
up
with a dangerous situation.

Why do you assume that the OP is a moron? I'm not saying he's not -
merely that there's nothing in his question to indicate that he is.
Maybe he simply wants to know what sort of venting options are
available for a basement range hood (since that's essentially what he
asked).. It's like asking for a BB rifle for Christmas and the only
response you get is "You'll shoot your eye out, kid". Well, kids get
BB rifles and basement ranges get exhaust hoods. The fact that you
don't like cleaning greasy ducts doesn't mean the the OP shouldn't
have one.

How would you go about cleaning a 20 foot long duct in a finished
basement?
I'm envisioning greasy soap/water dripping all over the place. And, this
assumes the guy's got arms 10 feet long, or can disassemble the ductwork
into smaller pieces.

And then, there are ants which are attracted to grease. Fun.

My kitchen has a through-wall fan to the outside. The duct (actually just
metal sleeve) is as thick as the wall - 8 or 10 inches, so access is
easy,
for cleaning purposes. I've seen what builds up in there, and I don't
deep-fry or grill anything indoors. I can't imagine dealing with a 20
foot
duct. Maybe the OP imagines everything will pass through the ducts
without
sticking. In a perfect world with no dust, that might be true.

As I said, The fact that *you* don't like cleaning greasy ducts
doesn't mean the the OP shouldn't install a range vent. Personally, I
hate picking up dog crap in the yard or cleaning salt from the garage
floor during the winter. But I wouldn't advise someone to not get a
dog or build a garage simply because of that. And again, you're
presuming that the OP is either a moron or incompetent. If you don't
know the answer to the original question (it's clear that you don't),
then simply don't answer it.

I never stated or even implied that he was a moron. If you disagree, please
go to the message where you believe you saw this, copy the appropriate text,
and paste it into your next response.