Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers,soc.culture.usa,comp.dcom.xdsl
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default EMBARQ DSL - is this considered a "normal" deal? Experiences with EMBARQ DSL?

Doc wrote:

I've been thinking of getting DSL. EMBARQ offers what at first glance seems
like a decent deal 19.95/mo but looking at the "fine print" I'm a bit put off.

Its not the fine print thats the problem, what matters is whether they deliver a decent service.

-$99 "early termination fee". - So, if you decide the service
stinks and find a better provider, you're obliged to pay them for
approximately the equivalent of 5 months of service to get out of it.

Not if they cant deliver a viable service.

They don't specify what "early" means as far as earlier than what.

Earlier than the initial term you sign up for.

But...

-EMBARQ may cancel services or susbstitute similar services
at its sole discretion without notice - How the hell about that.

Thats just some damned lawyer's way of trying to bluff the stupids.

Are they gonna pay me a $99 early termination fee?

Nope. But you dont have to pay them if they cant deliver what you signed up for, legally.

-No minimum level of speed is guaranteed. - How cutting-edge of them
to buck the trend of "quality assurance". And if you decide the product
is no good, not only do you not get a refund, as per above you're
obligated to pay them for months of crappy service you never received.

No you arent if they cant deliver what you signed up for.

-Taxes, fees and surcharges are additional, subject to change without notice
and BASED ON NON-PROMOTIONAL, STANDARD MONTHLY RATE. - So,
they're going to play "let's pretend" and tax you on more than you're paying.

If you dont like that, dont sign up.

-Additonal restrictions apply - Well, I'm sure that can only be good news.

Oh, and they charge 14.95 to ship a modem and a $15 activation fee.

Is this all "normal" as far as such services?

Its not uncommon for the low priced services.

Anyone here using EMBARQ? Thoughts?

Any providers out there that don't have all these kinds of caveats?

Yep, but not as cheap as that.