Posted to alt.home.repair
SteveB SteveB is offline

Default Where is a "safe place" to dispose of 14 oz. propane tanks?

On Feb 24, 2:42 pm, "SteveB" wrote:

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message

On Feb 24, 1:28 pm, "HeyBub" wrote:

mm wrote:
Where is a "safe place" to dispose of small, 14 oz. propane tanks?

The web is no help.

Reuse is better than recycle or discard.

Here's a gizmo that allows you to refill them from a big propane tank.

I have one of those.

I found that they do not fill to little tank to anywhere near full.
They always seem to run out a lot faster. So if you don't mind
carrying around ~twice as many as you might otherwise, or refilling
them pretty often, it's an OK device.

The instructions say not to refill any containers showing rust, so
eventually you'll have to dispose of them anyway. Another issue is the
moisture content of the propane which may rust the container from the
inside. This is an older discussion, but it dicusses both the moisture
issue and the transport of refilled containers. Maybe the rules have
changed since it was written...

http://yarchive.net/car/rv/disposable_propane.html

When I go camping, I take my big tank with a T and 2 long hoses - one
for the grill and one for the stove. Saves bucks deluxe over buying
the disposable tanks.

This thread has gone round and round before. Bottom line, is that
personal
use tanks are not subject to the laws of commercially transported cargo.
And yes, I, too have a hose that lets me hook up to a big tank for my
camping devices, and those last two forevers.

I tried freezing the canisters before filling, made a special rack to
hold
the old style tank upside down thinking that it would run liquid in
instead
of vapor. And I found that they only filled 1/3 to 1/2 full at best.
They
don't work as advertised.

Steve

Bottom line, is that personal use tanks are not subject to the
laws of commercially transported cargo.

I quote from my 16.4 oz Ozark Trail propane container:

5. Never refill this cylinder. Refilling may cause explosion. Federal
law prohibits transportation if refilled - penalty up to $500,000 and
5 years imprisonment. (49 U.S.C 5124)

The cylinder is marked as DOT-39. This website reiterates the
transportation statement noted above:

http://www.setonresourcecenter.com/4...a/wcd00aee.asp

I couldn't find anything that denoted a difference between personal
vs. commercial transport. If you could cite a reference I'd appreciate
it, since there may come a time when I would like to transport a
refilled container.

I said it, therefore, it must be true. Is there a refilled canister police
agency in your locale that does roadbocks, inspections, or other police
work
regarding these little canisters? Can you cite ANY case in which ANYONE
has been cited or arrested or prosecuted?

I thought so.

Steve- Hide quoted text -

I said it, therefore, it must be true.

No one said it wasn't. I simply asked for a reference.

BTW since "not subject to" and "not enforced" are two very different
things, I'm not sure how the lack of prosecuted cases enters into this
discussion. I'm sure we can all cite instances of illegal activties
that are not prosecuted. Heck, I've been to a concert or two in my day
and we were all subject to certain laws that were broken but not
prosecuted. (But I never inhaled!)

All I'm looking for is something official that says it's legal for me
to transport a refilled 16.4 oz DOT-39 propane tank if it's for
personal use. It wasn't a personal attack.

I didn't take it personal. Just looking at it realistically, and from the
viewpoint of having been there, done that. If they were truly illegal to be
refilled, they would outlaw the refilling devices available at most Walmarts
and everywhere.

Bottom line is people will do what they want, law or no. Be careful, the
sky is falling out there. It's a jungle. It always is and was, but your
own personal life is all perception as to whether you live it or hide in a
closet.

Steve