Posted to alt.home.repair
Mike Mike is offline

Default Suggestions for a log run kitchen exhaust

On Feb 25, 7:09 am, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
"AZ Nomad" wrote in message

On Sun, 24 Feb 2008 20:06:41 -0600, DanG wrote:
Don't let a code authority or an insurance man know what you are
doing. That run of duct will need to be welded steel with fire
suppression. No joints allowed. It should technically be a
grease hood with Halon, but they may reluctantly allow adapting a
conventional hood with a remote Ansul valve. As far as I know,
you will need to install an exterior grease fan, not a push type.

Ain't code compliance wonderful?

Those sound the requirements for a restaurant. Aren't the requirements in
household going to be less stringent? Most home owners don't cook for a
thousand people every single night.

Why should the science of fire prevention be any different at home than at a
restaurant? Maybe the ducts in a restaurant reach the danger level in a
month, and at home, two years, but at that magical moment, there's enough
grease in the pipes to make life interesting. The length of time to the
MOMENT is the variable.

Surely, the requirements are different for a home. For example, how
many combination microwave/exhaust hoods do you see in a restaurant
equipment catalog? And, last I checked, none of the $150 GE
microwaves at Best Buy included provisions for Halon. My restaurant
experience leads me to suspect that a month's worth of buildup in a
restaurant's ducts is more like a century's worth of buildup in a
residential kitchen. Your point, while certainly valid, is a bit of a
stretch.