Posted to alt.home.repair
Speedy Jim[_2_] Speedy Jim[_2_] is offline

Default Toilet install

N O wrote:

Toilet install

Group: alt.home.repair Date: Sun, Feb 24, 2008, 9:08pm (EST+5) From:
(Robert Allison)
N O wrote:
Soon I'll be installing a new toilet in a bath remod I'm doing. I've
read somewhere that the distance from the wall to the center of the
toilet drain should be at least 14"... Is that correct. If so, I'm in
trouble because I only see 12"...
Can I buy a toilet to fit that..?
Tanks..
You recall incorrectly. The correct distance is 12" centerline of toilet
flange to back wall, at least 15" centerline to side wall or tub.
Some toilets are different, but 12" is standard.

Just to clarify for OP:

The 15" side clearance is a Building Code requirement
for clear space and has nothing to do with the 12"
rough-in spec for the toilet.
http://www.onthehouse.com/wp/19980202

Jim