Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Where is a "safe place" to dispose of 14 oz. propane tanks?

On Sun, 24 Feb 2008 12:42:40 -0700, "SteveB"
wrote:

When I go camping, I take my big tank with a T and 2 long hoses - one
for the grill and one for the stove. Saves bucks deluxe over buying
the disposable tanks.

This thread has gone round and round before. Bottom line, is that personal
use tanks are not subject to the laws of commercially transported cargo.
And yes, I, too have a hose that lets me hook up to a big tank for my
camping devices, and those last two forevers.

I tried freezing the canisters before filling, made a special rack to hold

Very clever, even if it didn't work.

I drove over a chrome strip and put a hole in my gas tank. I smelled
it when I got to work, but I thought that was because I worked in a
steel mill. A guy who came up behind me said I had gasoline pouring
out.

A co-worker took me out at lunch and bought an epoxee kit especially
for gas tanks. Hot july day, hardened before I was done. Drove home
anyhow, stopping every 5 or 10 miles to buy another gallon of
gasoline. I think I stopped 5 times, in 25 miles.

Bought another kit and the next morning I put it in the freezer for
10? minutes to give me more time to put it on. The extra time was a
big help and the patch lasted 3 years.

Had the car painted, and it leaked the day I got the car from the
painter. I'm pretty sure because of the vapors there, but the
second patch also failed after 3 years with no paint shop invovled.

the old style tank upside down thinking that it would run liquid in instead
of vapor. And I found that they only filled 1/3 to 1/2 full at best. They
don't work as advertised.

Steve