Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Where is a "safe place" to dispose of 14 oz. propane tanks?

On Feb 24, 1:28*pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
mm wrote:
Where is a "safe place" to dispose of small, 14 oz. propane tanks?

The web is no help.

Reuse is better than recycle or discard.

Here's a gizmo that allows you to refill them from a big propane tank.

I have one of those.

I found that they do not fill to little tank to anywhere near full.
They always seem to run out a lot faster. So if you don't mind
carrying around ~twice as many as you might otherwise, or refilling
them pretty often, it's an OK device.

The instructions say not to refill any containers showing rust, so
eventually you'll have to dispose of them anyway. Another issue is the
moisture content of the propane which may rust the container from the
inside. This is an older discussion, but it dicusses both the moisture
issue and the transport of refilled containers. Maybe the rules have
changed since it was written...

http://yarchive.net/car/rv/disposable_propane.html

When I go camping, I take my big tank with a T and 2 long hoses - one
for the grill and one for the stove. Saves bucks deluxe over buying
the disposable tanks.