Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Where is a "safe place" to dispose of 14 oz. propane tanks?

On Sun, 24 Feb 2008 08:43:41 -0600, Jim Redelfs
wrote:

In article ,
mm wrote:

Where is a "safe place" to dispose of small, 14 oz. propane tanks?

The trash.

Unless it is a very OLD cylinder, contemporary disposal instructions should be
on a label on the tank.

All it says is "When cylinder is empty, discard in safe place" I
guess I understand why they don't say what a safe place is, because
different places have different rules, but on the surface it sounds
stupid to give no more details than safe. Take it to the police? The
fire department? The bank? A safe deposit box?

It's pretty old. It's BernzOmatic and it's black, but I don't think
that says how old it is. It's model TX-9, but I'll bet that's still
the model number. It's CAS No. 74-98-6 UN-1075

Still, if it is "completely" empty, there is no good
reason to not place it into the general waste stream.

It is virtually inert and of small enough capacity that any remaining gas is
of no concern. It will eventually rust away underground. In a modern
landfill, this would cause NO problem.

Recycling of this type of container is not recommended or allowed (I believe)
due to the possibility of residual gas.

Actually I saw a device somewhere, a hose with connectors at the ends,
that enables one to re"fill" it from the 20 pound tank. I don't know
if this is UL or otherwise approved, and I can't get my head around
whether it would have as much propane inside as a new can would, or
how much less.