Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Where is a "safe place" to dispose of 14 oz. propane tanks?

On Feb 24, 1:56*am, mm wrote:
Where is a "safe place" to dispose of small, 14 oz. propane tanks?

The web is no help.

I'm not sure why you say "the web is no help".

A Google search returned many hits regarding the disposal of propane
tanks. The vast majority of the hits differentiate the disposal of
tanks larger than 2 pounds vs. the disposable "Coleman" size.

These words, stolen without permission from
http://www.govlink.org/hazwaste/hous...=965&catID=945,
seem to be pretty consistant with what I found at other sites:

Butane and propane tanks

Proper disposal
Empty gas canisters less than two pounds (such as the small Coleman
camping canisters) may be placed in the garbage. Larger canisters, up
to five gallons (barbecue size), either empty or containing gas need
to be taken to one of the household hazardous waste facilities. For
approval of tanks larger than five gallons in (barbecue) size, call
the Household Hazards Line at 206-296-4692 for more information.