Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Where is a "safe place" to dispose of 14 oz. propane tanks?

On Sat, 23 Feb 2008 23:36:41 -0800 (PST), BobK207
wrote:

On Feb 23, 10:56 pm, mm wrote:
Where is a "safe place" to dispose of small, 14 oz. propane tanks?

The web is no help.

Check with your waste hauler or county waste management dept.

I;ve read their 12-page booklet more than once, but I guess I can find
it and look again. (The booklet is not where it should be. That's
unusual.)

http://www.govlink.org/hazwaste/hous...=965&catID=945

http://www.sandiego.gov/environmenta.../propane.shtml

These are great pages. They must have been way down the list or I used
the wrong search terms. Thanks

If empty looks like they go in the trash but better check .......

If not empty, use them up first.

When I told TD they were as empty as I could get them, I meant they
are empty. There is still a slight aroma when the head is on and
open, but they're empty.

I have never had a problem with propane, but as I might have said
once, my MAPP tank of the same size sometimes stops providing gas to
the torch, sometimes suddenly, and then might work again later, like
if I take the head off of it and let it sit for a day. Five minutes
is not enough. I'll still manage to empty the thing, I'm sure.

I've thrown empty ones away in the past I guess, but the older I get,
the more "responsible" I seem to try to be.

Thanks to both of you.

cheers
Bob