Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default Can a metal stud wall support a 52" flatscreen

DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Feb 23, 4:22 pm, "Edee em" wrote:
I think I know the answer to this (NO!) but buddy who did the wall for me
says that he can insert wood into the metal stud and then lag-bolt the TV
mount to that. I want to believe him but that is why I am he will a 2
foot length of wood in a metal stud support a 100 pound TV? Where does the
support come from if the wood isn't running ceiling to floor? Etc...

Any thoughts from the group (especially the framers out there!)

--
edee em
I know the truth is out there, but I like to stay in...

I'm Curious: How is he going to put the wood in the studs? Safe to
assume the wall has not been sheetrocked yet?

I'm curious as well. I was going to suggest a well-trimmed and finished
3/4 plywood panel applied to the wall with lots of long countersunk
sheetmetal screws, and hang the TV off that.(You could even cut out part
of the rock, use 1/2 ply instead, and flush the wood in to make it
vanish completely.) Make it just shorter than the vertical height of TV,
and as wide you can to go across as many stud bays as possible. About
the same way stuff was hung off old plaster lath walls. But if wall is
open, even on one side, you could put massive blocks in the stud spaces
and stiffen the hell out of the wall.

--
aem sends...