Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Can a metal stud wall support a 52" flatscreen

I think I know the answer to this (NO!) but buddy who did the wall for me
says that he can insert wood into the metal stud and then lag-bolt the TV
mount to that. I want to believe him but that is why I am he will a 2
foot length of wood in a metal stud support a 100 pound TV? Where does the
support come from if the wood isn't running ceiling to floor? Etc...

Any thoughts from the group (especially the framers out there!)

--
edee em
I know the truth is out there, but I like to stay in...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 23, 4:22*pm, "Edee em" wrote:
I think I know the answer to this (NO!) but buddy who did the wall for me
says that he can insert wood into the metal stud and then lag-bolt the TV
mount to that. *I want to believe him but that is why I am he *will a 2
foot length of wood in a metal stud support a 100 pound TV? *Where does the
support come from if the wood isn't running ceiling to floor? *Etc...

Any thoughts from the group (especially the framers out there!)

--
edee em
I know the truth is out there, but I like to stay in...

You don't just have a metal stud. Presumably, you have a wall with
multiple studs at a standard spacing, covered with sheetrock, etc.
In that case, even without using an additional wood support, the load
is spread out and carried across multiple studs. The studs are also
prevented from deflecting by the support of the sheetrock.
Distributing 100lbs over multiple studs should not be a problem. I'd
make sure whatever bracket is behind the TV is securely screwed to at
least 2 studs.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Edee em" wrote in message
I think I know the answer to this (NO!) but buddy who did the wall for me
says that he can insert wood into the metal stud and then lag-bolt the TV
mount to that. I want to believe him but that is why I am he will a 2
foot length of wood in a metal stud support a 100 pound TV? Where does the
support come from if the wood isn't running ceiling to floor? Etc...

Any thoughts from the group (especially the framers out there!)

--
edee em
I know the truth is out there, but I like to stay in...
I'm sure the wall is strong enough, it's more a matter of attaching the
vesa bracket to the wall through thin metal, so if he can provide wood
inside the metal studs for the lags to hold on to, I think you'll be fine

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 23, 1:49 pm, wrote:
On Feb 23, 4:22 pm, "Edee em" wrote:

[...]

The real issue is how far out from the wall is the flat screen...if
the bracket picks up two studs & the TV mounts more or less flat to
the wall... a few Tek screws into the studs will do the trick.

If the TV hangs off the wall like ~12" then i'd be more concerned.

The gauge of the studs is also an issue...20 gage ( 22, 24) are
pretty thin & screw pullout is a concern.

Thicker studs; 18 & 16 gage are really very reliable with respect to
screw pullout.

If you still have access to the steel framing, your buddy's idea of
putting two wood backers into the steel studs is fine.

The steel studs are very strong vertically but locally (screw pullout
& local bending) then are potentially weak. Putting the wood inside
them will stiffen then up & give the lags something to embed in.

cheers
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

BobK207 wrote:

The real issue is how far out from the wall is the flat screen.

My guess would be no more that 5". My 50" Panasonic is 4".

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 23, 2:57 pm, "Dave Bugg" wrote:
BobK207 wrote:
The real issue is how far out from the wall is the flat screen.

My guess would be no more that 5". My 50" Panasonic is 4".

My BIL has a 52" mounted on an adjustable / swivel bracket that bring
the screen about 12" off the wall.

I simplified my life & my 40" sits on a flat screen table / stand.

cheers
Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 23 Feb 2008 16:22:39 -0500, "Edee em"
wrote:

I think I know the answer to this (NO!) but buddy who did the wall for me
says that he can insert wood into the metal stud and then lag-bolt the TV
mount to that. I want to believe him but that is why I am he will a 2
foot length of wood in a metal stud support a 100 pound TV? Where does the
support come from if the wood isn't running ceiling to floor? Etc...

Any thoughts from the group (especially the framers out there!)

A 50" plasma and mount can be held with molly bolts in a metal stud.
Check the company site. RTM.

Four 4" lag bolts is good or even six is better in wood!!
--
Oren
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 23, 4:22*pm, "Edee em" wrote:
I think I know the answer to this (NO!) but buddy who did the wall for me
says that he can insert wood into the metal stud and then lag-bolt the TV
mount to that. *I want to believe him but that is why I am he *will a 2
foot length of wood in a metal stud support a 100 pound TV? *Where does the
support come from if the wood isn't running ceiling to floor? *Etc...

Any thoughts from the group (especially the framers out there!)

--
edee em
I know the truth is out there, but I like to stay in...

I'm Curious: How is he going to put the wood in the studs? Safe to
assume the wall has not been sheetrocked yet?
Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Feb 23, 4:22 pm, "Edee em" wrote:
I think I know the answer to this (NO!) but buddy who did the wall for me
says that he can insert wood into the metal stud and then lag-bolt the TV
mount to that. I want to believe him but that is why I am he will a 2
foot length of wood in a metal stud support a 100 pound TV? Where does the
support come from if the wood isn't running ceiling to floor? Etc...

Any thoughts from the group (especially the framers out there!)

--
edee em
I know the truth is out there, but I like to stay in...

I'm Curious: How is he going to put the wood in the studs? Safe to
assume the wall has not been sheetrocked yet?

I'm curious as well. I was going to suggest a well-trimmed and finished
3/4 plywood panel applied to the wall with lots of long countersunk
sheetmetal screws, and hang the TV off that.(You could even cut out part
of the rock, use 1/2 ply instead, and flush the wood in to make it
vanish completely.) Make it just shorter than the vertical height of TV,
and as wide you can to go across as many stud bays as possible. About
the same way stuff was hung off old plaster lath walls. But if wall is
open, even on one side, you could put massive blocks in the stud spaces
and stiffen the hell out of the wall.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Edee em" wrote in message
I think I know the answer to this (NO!) but buddy who did the wall for me
says that he can insert wood into the metal stud and then lag-bolt the TV
mount to that. I want to believe him but that is why I am he will a 2
foot length of wood in a metal stud support a 100 pound TV? Where does the
support come from if the wood isn't running ceiling to floor? Etc...

Any thoughts from the group (especially the framers out there!)

--
edee em
I know the truth is out there, but I like to stay in...

If it's a house The studs are most likely a light gauge. What I would do I
would add extra studs were you want to mount the T.V. Then solid metal
backing over those studs ( your framer should know how to do this)to catch
the support area for the T.V. Most backing I've seen is 6" wide, but in
some instances they will use a solid piece of sheet (say like 24" wide 4'
long) metal. I have even seen metal studs covered with 3/4" ply for backing
.. there's a lot of ways to solve how to hang a flat screen.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Edee em" wrote in message
I want to believe him but that is why I am he will a 2 foot length
of wood in a metal stud support a 100 pound TV? Where does the support
come from if the wood isn't running ceiling to floor? Etc...

The support will still be the metal stud. The wood is just a backer to hold
the lags in place and spread the load over a portion of the stud.
Sheetmetal screws may pull out if just into a thin stud. I just saw doors
being hung by putting in a wood backer where the hinges will be.

Bowing of screen on Sony Trinitron Flatscreen 17" Monitor [email protected] Electronics Repair 14 September 3rd 06 02:58 PM
Cable support inside stud walls? Jim Ingram UK diy 0 November 1st 05 05:29 PM
Sharp 28" flatscreen - 28LF92H [email protected] Electronics Repair 1 October 31st 05 03:59 PM
metal stud partitioning Mike UK diy 2 March 24th 05 07:47 PM
IKEA kitchen wall cabinet hanging on plaster wall without stud coder UK diy 12 November 4th 04 07:53 AM