Posted to alt.home.repair
BobK207 BobK207 is offline

Default Can a metal stud wall support a 52" flatscreen

On Feb 23, 1:49 pm, wrote:
On Feb 23, 4:22 pm, "Edee em" wrote:

I think I know the answer to this (NO!) but buddy who did the wall for me
says that he can insert wood into the metal stud and then lag-bolt the TV
mount to that. I want to believe him but that is why I am he will a 2
foot length of wood in a metal stud support a 100 pound TV? Where does the
support come from if the wood isn't running ceiling to floor? Etc...

Any thoughts from the group (especially the framers out there!)

--
edee em
I know the truth is out there, but I like to stay in...

You don't just have a metal stud. Presumably, you have a wall with
multiple studs at a standard spacing, covered with sheetrock, etc.
In that case, even without using an additional wood support, the load
is spread out and carried across multiple studs. The studs are also
prevented from deflecting by the support of the sheetrock.
Distributing 100lbs over multiple studs should not be a problem. I'd
make sure whatever bracket is behind the TV is securely screwed to at
least 2 studs.

The real issue is how far out from the wall is the flat screen...if
the bracket picks up two studs & the TV mounts more or less flat to
the wall... a few Tek screws into the studs will do the trick.

If the TV hangs off the wall like ~12" then i'd be more concerned.

The gauge of the studs is also an issue...20 gage ( 22, 24) are
pretty thin & screw pullout is a concern.

Thicker studs; 18 & 16 gage are really very reliable with respect to
screw pullout.

If you still have access to the steel framing, your buddy's idea of
putting two wood backers into the steel studs is fine.

The steel studs are very strong vertically but locally (screw pullout
& local bending) then are potentially weak. Putting the wood inside
them will stiffen then up & give the lags something to embed in.

cheers
Bob