Posted to alt.home.repair
Oren[_2_] Oren[_2_] is offline

Default Broiler Shuts off by itself

On Sat, 23 Feb 2008 17:24:34 GMT, "Charlie S."
wrote:

"Oren" wrote in message
.. .
On Thu, 21 Feb 2008 12:51:24 -0600, dpb wrote:

Charlie S. wrote:
A couple times in the last 2 weeks the broiler in the gas range we use
in
the kitchen shut off by itself. The light on the countertop was still
on,
yet there wasn't any flame. In each case I had also been cooking
something
on the stovetop. After I shut off the stovetop, I checked the oven again
and
found the fire had gone out. It had been on when after I shut the
stovetop.

Not sure what to do. The stove is GE range about 30 years old. The
serial
and model numbers have been washed away though past cleanings. Anyone
know
have any suggestions?

At that age, my first inclination would be that the burner orifices are
plugged so gas flow is restricted from years of accumulated crud (both
internal from the gas and external). Clean them and see if problem
doesn't resolve itself.

I agree. An early indicator of clogged burner orifices would be a weak
yellow flame and not the bright blue flame.
--

Thanks for the advice. Will I have to take off the orifaces to clean them?
Or, can I simply use some sort of wire brush to clear away whatever may be

Personally, I would remove the burner and clean it. Paper clips, stiff
wire, small nail, awl, or wire brush to clean the ports. Then I can
examine the burner and work easier.

E How link here if you clean it in place.
http://www.ehow.com/how_112198_fix-gas-oven.html
--
Oren