Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default Broiler Shuts off by itself

Charlie S. wrote:
A couple times in the last 2 weeks the broiler in the gas range we use in
the kitchen shut off by itself. The light on the countertop was still on,
yet there wasn't any flame. In each case I had also been cooking something
on the stovetop. After I shut off the stovetop, I checked the oven again and
found the fire had gone out. It had been on when after I shut the stovetop.

Not sure what to do. The stove is GE range about 30 years old. The serial
and model numbers have been washed away though past cleanings. Anyone know
have any suggestions?

At that age, my first inclination would be that the burner orifices are
plugged so gas flow is restricted from years of accumulated crud (both
internal from the gas and external). Clean them and see if problem
doesn't resolve itself.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Charlie S." wrote in message
A couple times in the last 2 weeks the broiler in the gas range we use in
the kitchen shut off by itself. The light on the countertop was still on,
yet there wasn't any flame. In each case I had also been cooking something
on the stovetop. After I shut off the stovetop, I checked the oven again
and found the fire had gone out. It had been on when after I shut the
stovetop.

Sorry correction. The broiler was still lit after I shut off the stovetop.
Yet, when I checked a few minutes later the burners had stopped working.

Not sure what to do. The stove is GE range about 30 years old. The
serial and model numbers have been washed away though past cleanings.
Anyone know have any suggestions?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 21 Feb 2008 12:51:24 -0600, dpb wrote:

Charlie S. wrote:
A couple times in the last 2 weeks the broiler in the gas range we use in
the kitchen shut off by itself. The light on the countertop was still on,
yet there wasn't any flame. In each case I had also been cooking something
on the stovetop. After I shut off the stovetop, I checked the oven again and
found the fire had gone out. It had been on when after I shut the stovetop.

Not sure what to do. The stove is GE range about 30 years old. The serial
and model numbers have been washed away though past cleanings. Anyone know
have any suggestions?

At that age, my first inclination would be that the burner orifices are
plugged so gas flow is restricted from years of accumulated crud (both
internal from the gas and external). Clean them and see if problem
doesn't resolve itself.

I agree. An early indicator of clogged burner orifices would be a weak
yellow flame and not the bright blue flame.
--
Oren
Posted to alt.home.repair

Charlie S. wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the advice. Will I have to take off the orifaces to clean them?
Or, can I simply use some sort of wire brush to clear away whatever may be
clogging them up?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 23 Feb 2008 17:24:34 GMT, "Charlie S."
wrote:

.. .

Charlie S. wrote:
[...]

Personally, I would remove the burner and clean it. Paper clips, stiff
wire, small nail, awl, or wire brush to clean the ports. Then I can
examine the burner and work easier.

E How link here if you clean it in place.
http://www.ehow.com/how_112198_fix-gas-oven.html
--
Oren
Posted to alt.home.repair

Charlie S. wrote:
[...]

Thanks, will check out the site later. Just curious though, if I do take
the edifice off, is there a gas shut off valve I have close first?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Charlie S. wrote:
[...]

Oops! I guess the spell check doesn't edit for brain malfunctions.

Orifice