Posted to alt.home.repair
cshenk cshenk is offline

Default Roof bids from $1400-$6200???

wrote
cshenk" wrote:

The dripping is from every interior door jamb. ?In fact, the exterior
doors are the only ones not dripping. ?I believe the dripping is from

Much as I hate to say it, but the estimate from the high end guy had what
you seem to need. ?If you do it now, it won't get worse. ?This is pretty
serious level roof problem and it can cost you the whole house if you
dont
fix it fast.

Do not be shocked if some of the rafters have to be replaced at this
stage.
My neighbors waited too long and didnt havwe the plywood fully replaced
when
I did. ?Some of them now are paying 35,000$ and up because the rafters
also
have to be replaced. ?I believe I was told the going rate there was
1,000$
each?

i believe the grand a piece estimate based on a friend who had a fire,
damaged 2 rafters, replacement 1500 bucks about 5 years ago, now add
inflatation......

Yup. Lets just say when we had ours done, he looked around and left fliers
and knocked on a few doors. Nothing obtrusive but the community was all
built at the same time and some were starting to sway just a tad like ours
(which didnt leak but we feared it would soon).

2 neighbors besides us had the roofs done, one by him, another with a
cheaper fellow who just added shingles. My house and the other done by him
are *perfect* but both of us needed some of the plywood replaced. Not at
all suprising in houses built 1961-1964. It was just 'time'.

The other person, is now having all the plywood replaced and some inner wood
by his fireplace (like me, he has one). *4* others now have major damage
with rafter replacements, some just a few, 1 extensive to the point where
they tented the house and took the whole thing off and put a new one on.

You cant drive more than 2 streets away now without seeing some roofing
company about. Simple to see why. After close to 50 years, the plywood has
to be replaced.

the OP has a serious problem that shouldnt be left go.

Absolutely. Experience here that is fortunately vicarious as we took care
of it in time.

although i wouldnt have a new roof installed in the winter. the
shingles may never lay flat and poor seal is result

He doesnt have a choice and I didnt note where he is so it may not be that
cold there. Roofers do work in winter and for some of us, thats actually a
'dryer time' so better than in summer.