Posted to alt.home.repair
SteveB SteveB is offline

Default Rotary Zip tool

"MiamiCuse" wrote in message
Fundamentally, what is the difference between a rotary zip tool and
Dremel? Is it just a bit more power and it has a plastic ring in the front
to control the cutting depth?

MC

From what I see, Dremel is a tool that you can use with a lot of attachments
to do various jobs. RotoZip is a tool that uses a side cutting bit to rout
around boxes when sheetrocking. Rotozip has a lot of more uses, and
accessories, but in my opinion, it is designed to be held perpendicular to
the work, and the side of the bit does the cutting. With a Dremel, the
cutting or polishing or contact with the work is at more angles, and a lot
of Dremels have to purposely use an attachment to make the bit perpendicular
to the work. The RotoZip has a base, like a router that runs along the
work. The bit is then set to the correct depth for whatever is being cut,
mostly sheetrock.

I have seen both RotoZips and Dremels. I personally have a Foredom, which
is a shaft drive tool similar to some Dremels. Different things for
different jobs.

Steve