Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Carl Boyd Carl Boyd is offline

Default Lead in solder

This is the part of the article thet blows me away

"Most of these are now assembled using solder joints that have no lead in an
effort to save our groundwater and our health. The fact that the lead has
been generally replaced with silver or bismuth, both of which are actually
greater health risks than lead, well we'll leave that one for Ralph Nader if
he decides not to run for President."

I work in the electronics industry and have been hearing this for a year or
so now.

Carl Boyd

wrote in message
I thought the people on this group would be interested int his
article:

http://www.pbs.org/cringely/pulpit/2...21_004346.html

It's about "green" lead-free solder has caused problems. It think the
money quote is this one:

"And if you think this problem is minor, I have been told that just
the cost of changing to lead-free solder stands right now at $280
BILLION and climbing. That cost is borne by all of us."

It even has some metal content...