Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] mattdiez@gmail.com is offline

Default Mold Smell At Night

On Feb 22, 9:42 am, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
wrote in message

On Feb 22, 5:57 am, "cshenk" wrote:
wrote

back. As it turns out, the mold smell comes back at night, and then
every day, goes away. I'm guessing this is due to the condensation and
the night air in my extremely humid (South Louisiana) climate.
Sooo:
1. Does that seem to make sense that night air is reigniting my mold?

Matt, I think it more likely you change something at night, shch as close
the door or windows (safety thing possibly). Possibly some fan you run
in
the daytime is turned off? Thats allowing the smell to build?

Doors and windows are closed all day long, also, I'm not running any
fans or A/C units.

However, I just bought a dehumidifier and ran it all night, and now I
have no mold smell
whatsoever. I -am- concerned about it coming back. Perhaps I'll check
for small cracks/fissures
in the walls where outside moisture might be entering.

You said it's extremely humid where you live. Then, you say the house is
closed all day long, and you run no fans or AC. That sounds disgusting.

It's 70 during the day and mid-fifties at night. No need to run fans
or A/C right now.
In a couple of months, however, they'll become a necessity.

I have a constitutional right to be wrong, but I'm gonna go out on a limb
here and suggest that maybe you had the beginnings of a problem BEFORE the
plumbing leak.

It's quite possible that the walls could have been wicking moisture in
before the leak, true.