Posted to alt.home.repair
ransley ransley is offline

Default Mold Smell At Night

On Feb 22, 8:21*am, wrote:
On Feb 22, 6:33 am, ransley wrote:

On Feb 21, 3:32 pm, wrote:

Well, as a followup, I managed to fix the source of the water leak in
my wall (overflowing sewer pipe that wasn't capped during a botched
later-nineties remodel ).

Anyway, that leak had caused a nasty mold infestation on my drywall
and in the cabinets.

So, I figured, with the water leak closed off, and the walls and
cabinets scrubbed down and Cloroxed, and, all rotten wood or drywall
removed, then treated all of it with Concrobium, that I'd have the
mold smell licked.

And, I was largely right, until it hit sunset, and the smell came
back. As it turns out, the mold smell comes back at night, and then
every day, goes away. I'm guessing this is due to the condensation and
the night air in my extremely humid (South Louisiana) climate.
Sooo:
1. Does that seem to make sense that night air is reigniting my mold?

2. So, what do I need to do? I'll be buying a dehumidifier, but I
don't really want to run it 24/7/365. Can I install some sort of
moisture barrier between my masonry (concrete block) walls and the
drywall/wood bolted to it?

Thanks in advance,
-Matthew D. Diez

If you still smell it you didnt kill it all , if it was in the wall
its in the floor below, maybe a garden sprayer with bleach in it
sprayed everywhere the leak flowed to. Of ot was inbetween the walls
drill holes and start spraying a few gallons

I just bought a dehumidifier, and ran it all night. No mold smell this
AM.

So, this seems to confirm my suspicion about nighttime humidity
reigniting it.

Any experience with vinegar instead of bleach?- Hide quoted text -

Bleach kills mold by removing oxygen to the plant, vinegar might be
food for it. Spray the infected area with alot of bleach completely,
its cheaper than vinegar also. If its inbetween walls , drill holes
and use a garden sprayer.