Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] robvpendley@gmail.com is offline

Default How to widen hole through wall header

On Feb 21, 11:59*pm, BobK207 wrote:
On Feb 21, 8:16 pm, wrote:

I need to widen a hole I made through 3 2x4's with 2 spade bits. *I
made a hole with a 1" bit, then used a 3/4" bit next to it, so that it
overlapped just a bit. *Unfortunately I started the second hole at an
angle, and by the time I got down into the last 2x4 the center was
almost into the original 1" hole, and the bit slipped over and
through. *Now I have a V shaped hole that tapers too much to be of
use, and I don't know how to widen the hole so that the sides are
parallel.

Anyone have any advice?

Thanks

What is the hole for? *Why a 1" & then a 3/4"?

Hole saw *or *fortner bit.

cheers
Bob

It's to run a DVI cable through the wall (wide and skinny). I
switched from the 1" because it was larger than I needed, and more
importantly, it was incredibly dull. Took about 3 minutes to make the
hole with the 1", 20 seconds w/ the 3/4". I'm not sure how a hole saw
would help, unless I just made a huge hole around the two smaller
holes. I'll look into a forstner bit i spose.

I don't have a sawzall, and as much as I love reasons to get new
tools, I don't think I can justify it for a couple inches of wood. My
jigsaw just is too bulky to fit down in this space and the blade isn't
long enough to cover the 4.5".

I guess I was hoping for some sort of electric file or something.

Thanks for the help.